AWAKENING THE YOUTH POWER
STATE LEVEL YOUTH CONVENTION
Ramakrishna Mission, Delhi in collaboration with Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), with financial assistance from the Central Government through the Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math, conducted a three day State Level Youth Convention with the theme ‘Awakening The Youth Power‘ from 18th October to 20th October 2013.
Proceedings from the First Day (18 Oct 2013)
- Youth began to register their names at the specified counters.
- The Inaugural Session was invocated with Vedic Peace Chants (Shanti Mantras) by the monks of the Ramakrishna Mission.
- Swami Shantatmanandaji, Secretary, Ramakrishna Mission, New Delhi delivered the welcome address. He also felicitated the chief guests, Dr. Kiran Bedi, Sardar Bishen Singh Bedi and Swami Atmapriyananda with mementos (Link to the talk).
- Dr. Kiran Bedi, IPS, Raman Magsaysay Award Winner, addressed the youth next (Link to the talk). Dr. Kiran Bedi has been India’s first and highest ranking woman officer in the Indian Police Service. After a distinguished career of more than 35 years in creative and reformative policing and prison management, she continues to serve the nation through two NGOs, Navjyoti and IndiaVision Foundation, which she founded. She has contributed immensely in the fields of education, vocational skills, environment, counselling, and health-care to the urban and rural poor. She is a recipient of the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award amongst numerous other awards and recognitions.
- Swami Atmapriyananda, Vice Chancellor, Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University, Belur Math, addressed the youth, bringing in many scriptural anecdotes with scientific viewpoints. He stressed on the manliness and nation-building message of Swami Vivekananda (Link to the talk). Swami Atmapriyananda received his Ph. D from the University of Madras in Theoretical Physics and has a number of research publications in reputed international journals. He joined the Ramakrishna Order of monks in 1978 and was posted at the Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira where he served as a Physics teacher, the Vice-Principal and the Principal over 19 years before taking charge as Vice Chancellor of Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University in July 2005. He has participated in numerous religious and educational seminars, symposia, workshops and conference, both in India and abroad.
- Sardar Bishan Singh Bedi, cricketer, spoke to the youth (Link to the talk). Sardar Bishan Singh Bedi is a former captain of the India cricket team and formed part of the famous India spin quartet. In 2008, Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac named him as one of the five best cricketers to not have been selected as a Wisden Cricketer of the Year. Bedi is famous for his outspoken and forthright views on cricketing matters.
- Before the participants broke for tea, they were given a brief orientation to the whole convention. Dr. S. V. Eshwaran addressed the youth briefly (Link to the talk). Dr. S. V. Eshwaran is a well-known teacher and researcher in the Chemistry field. Dr. Eshwaran has been teaching Chemistry at St. Stephans for the past four decades. Besides his excellent academic credentials, Dr. Eshwaran has also been closely associated with the various activities of the Ramakrishna Mission since his early years. He is also the chief resource person at the Vivekananda Youth Forum at the Mission.
- After tea break, Sri Damodar Ramdasi, performed a great Mono-act show on the life and message of Swami Vivekananda.
- All the participants had their dinner at the close of the first day’s proceedings.
Some photos from the Inaugural Session of the State Level Youth Convention: